Satan seeks to do three things:
- Hurt God. Since Satan cannot hurt God directly (frontal assault), he will seek to hurt God by hurting the lives of those God loves. When an adversary knows he cannot hurt you directly, he will seek to attack and hurt those you love.
- Damn as many souls to hell as he can. The only joy or satisfaction Satan will have in eternity is seeing the multitudes of souls he successfully damned to burn in hell forever (Isa. 14:9; cf. Ezek. 31:2-8, 15-18; 32:2-8, 18-32 especially v. 31). What an awful thing how anyone could be so depraved and sadistic that the only satisfaction they have is knowing the number of people’s lives they’ve ruined forever. That is the depraved character of the devil. “The depths of Satan” is the pleasure and satisfaction he derives from seeing people suffer.
- Since Satan knows he can never damn the soul of someone who is already saved, he will do everything he can to keep them from leading others to Christ.
I want to begrudge and deprive Satan of any pleasure or satisfaction. Therefore, I’ve given my soul to Christ and seek to live to please God. I’m going to do all I can to win souls to Christ, so Satan cannot damn them.
I never want to give Satan any reason to be happy! How about you? What has the devil ever done for you except cause you trouble and seek to damn your soul? Let’s give the devil a “black eye?” You can start by giving your soul to Jesus Christ! Then, live for Christ the rest of your life and win others to Christ, so Satan cannot have them. He’ll hate that!
The devil is a dirty liar (John 8:44). His tactics haven’t changed since he lied to Eve in the garden of Eden (Gen. 3). Unfortunately, we fall his lies more often than we’d like to admit.
Here are four of Satan’s most plausible lies He uses today:
- “Sin doesn’t matter.” Don’t you believe it! Sin does matter. The wages of sin have not changed (Rom. 6:23). We are exhorted, “My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye SIN NOT” (1 John 2:1). “Awake to righteousness, and SIN NOT” (1 Cor. 15:34).
Sin will rob you of your peace, your testimony, your health, and your joy.
- “Holiness is not important.” That’s a lie out of hell. 1 Peter 1:16 says, “Be holy, for I am holy.” We have the HOLY Spirit within us… We read from a HOLY Bible. You are commanded to “present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy” (Rom. 12:1). The truth is: It is God’s will for His children to holy lives.
- “Church attendance is a waste of time.” Satan would love for you to swallow that lie. Christ loved the church and gave Himself for it (Eph. 5:25). The church is “the pillar and ground of the truth” (1 Tim. 3:15). It is God’s appointed agency through which He does His work today. Paul said, “Unto him be glory IN THE CHURCH” (Eph. 3:21). We admonished to not forsake “the assembling of ourselves together” (Heb. 10:25)? You never be more effective for God outside of a church than you are inside (Mt. 5:14-15 cf. Rev. 1:20). Satan knows this!
- “Preaching is not relevant.” So many fall for this lie, even those who attend church. They prefer music programs, dramatic productions, or interactive dialogue. “They heap to themselves TEACHERS [not preachers], having itching ears” (2 Tim. 6:3). God has chosen the “foolishness of preaching to save them that believe” (1 Cor. 1:21). The Bible says, “Preach the Word” (2 Tim. 4:2). Satan hates Bible preaching (and Bible preachers). He will do all he can to keep people from the preaching of Gospel.
So, who are you going to believe—God’s Word or Satan’s lie?
He that walketh with wise men shall be wise: but a companion of fools shall be destroyed. —Proverbs 13:20
Life is about relationships. The company you keep will have a great deal to so with your conduct (Ps. 106:35; Prov. 22:24-25; 26:4; 1 Cor. 15:33). The friends you choose matter. The places you go matter. Your co-workers and class-mates matter. RELATIONSHIP’S WITH THE WRONG PEOPLE CAN DESTROY YOU!
That is why separation is so important (Ex. 23:31-33; 1 Kings 11:1-2; Acts 2:40; 2 Cor. 6:17; Eph. 5:11; James 4:4).
- When God wants to bless you, He brings a person in your life—A companion, a spouse, a neighbor, a new church member, etc.
- When God wanted to bless DAVID, He put JONATHAN in His life!
- When God wanted to bless PAUL, He put BARNABAS in his life!
- When God wanted to bless MOSES, He put AARON in his life!
- When God wanted to bless RUTH, He put BOAZ in her life!
- When God wanted to bless JEREMIAH, He put BARUCH in his life!
- When God wanted to bless ME, He put BARBARA in my life!
God usually sends His blessings through people. One person God has used to bless my life many, many times is Pastor Ken Blue. Thank you, Lord!
- When Satan wants to hinder you, He will also brings a person in your life! To be honest, there are some people who came into my life that I would rather they did not.
- When Satan wanted to stop SOLOMON, he sent the DAUGHTER OF PHARAOH in his life.
- When Satan wanted to hinder JEHOSHAPHAT he brought AHAB into his life.
- When Satan wanted to hinder THE FARMER IN THE PARABLE OF THE SOWER he sent an ENEMY to sow tares in his field!
- When Satan tried to stop PAUL he put ALEXANDER the coppersmith in his life!
- When Satan wanted to destroy MORDECAI he put HAMAAN in his life!
- When Satan wanted to destroy DANIEL he put the Persian PRESIDENTS in his life!
- When Satan wanted to destroy JOHN the Baptist he put KING HEROD in His life!
- When Satan wanted to stop Jesus, He put JUDAS in His life!
Consider each person in your relationships. Ask God, “Lord, did You plant this person in my life; or did the enemy plant this person in my life?” Ask yourself— Is this person helping me in my walk with Christ, or hindering my walk with the Lord?
Why hath Satan hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost? (Acts 5:3)
Nothing is more important in your thought life than TRUTH. Truth is liberating (John 8:32)! Untruth leads to bondage. The reason so many people are in bondage to fear… anger… depression… bitterness… etc is they are believing Satan’s lies instead of believing what God says is true.
The battleground is your mind and thought life (2 Cor. 10:3-5). It starts when you entertain wrong thoughts. These false thoughts are Satan’s lies that lead to spiritual bondage.
Satan is shrewd. He disguises his lies so they go undetected. He will suggest a false thought to your mind and deceive you into thinking the thought is your own, and not from Satan. For example, Ananias and Sapphira got an idea to sell some property and give a portion of the money to the church, but pretend they were giving the entire selling price. They thought this plan to keep “back part of the price” was their own personal plan (Acts 5:2). But Peter detected this was a strategy of Satan (Acts 5:3). That is one of Satan’s most effective strategy’s—Mask his temptations in the guise of your own thoughts.
You see this strategy again in the case when Satan provoked David to David to number Israel (1 Chron. 21:1). David thought this was his own idea when it really came from Satan. If he knew this was Satan’s plan he wouldn’t have done it!
Beware of Satan’s lies. They will often come to you wearing a “mask”— The mask of yourself! The only way to detect the devil’s lies is by confronting them with truth.
“…he beholdeth not the way of the vineyards.” —Job 24:18
In Job 24:18, the wicked are likened to swift running waters. The wicked are impatient and in a hurry to get what he wants.
And the devil stands by to help him get it by offering a “short-cut.” No matter what your goal is, weather it be happiness… success… making money, Satan has a short-cut to achieve it.
Rather than achieve something God’s way, which is usually the slower way, and the way that requires character and builds character, Satan offers a quicker way to get what you want.
That is what Job implies when he says, “he [the wicked] beholdeth not the way of the vineyards.” What is “the way of the vineyard”? It is the way of hard work that requires plowing, planting, pruning, and patience before reaping a harvest. That is, if you are going to reap a harvest in the vineyard it is going to require WORK and WAITING.
For example, if a person has a certain financial goal, Satan offers a “short-cut” to getting money. That “short-cut” could be gambling. I am asked sometimes by immature Christians, “What’s wrong with gambling or playing the lottery?” It is wrong because it seeks to acquire money contrary to God’s way—“the way of the vineyards.” God’s way is by hard work and wise stewardship (read Prov. 12:11; 13:11; 1 Tim. 5:18).
Yes, “the way of the vineyards” may be slower and require character, but the rewards are much more satisfying and longer lasting!